[RC] 100 mile rides, their future, and the fuure of AERC - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Eve Spencer especfarm@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi, Truman, Joe, and all, I am a newbie who has been lurking on ridecampa while
and has done my first LD, and I thought maybe you all could use the point of
view of one of "them", the folks out there, who may eventually become one of
you.

I appreciate your desire to preserve the 100 mile ride.  I don't know if I
aspire to do a 100, I do aspire to multi-days, but even that seemed a
rediculous aspiration a year ago.  Like many of us, I am not young, and I have
many other responsibilities.  I run a business, and am a single mom.  The time
crunch is everywhere in our society, we all read and hear about it , and
experience it.

I grew up with a horse, but did not have one for 25 years. Now riding is about
all I do for fun.  There are trails near me, and people to ride with, and if
they are feeling very energetic, and the weather is just right, they manage a
12-15 mile ride once a week, At a walk.  There is only one local guy I know who
will sustain a pace faster than that for over 15 minutes at a time.  I train on
my own.  I came to my first LD on my own, and I will come to my second (on a
new horse), on my own, and I will aim to complete slowly. And I absolutely will
feel like the LD stepchild.

I was introduced to the sport by an old freind, who has been inactive since I
have been training, but I have to tell you that it was made clear to me that
LDs are "training rides", not "real" rides.

The publications I have read on endurance riding suggest anywhere up to 2 years
of legging up, and a season of LDs before doing a 50, then at least a full
season  of 50s before attempting a 100.  What I would like to get accross here
is that for a newbie, looking at 100s as the only real goal is overwhelming and
offputting.  I don't have 4 years to give before I think I am having fun. *ok,
I do realize that these are extemes of taking it slow to get there, but
still...*

I didn't enter the LD to get a Tshirt, or points, or recognition.  It was my
feeling that few folks did, and it was pretty clear who they were.  And I guese
they probably enter alot of LDs that way.  And that is fine.  They are probably
the best at 25 mile rides.  When I was young I was a swimmer.  I excelled in
longer races, but was horrible at sprints.  The fact that sprints were offered
did not make me want to do them.  The fact that some people really compete hard
at the LD level has no effect on my perspective as a newbie.  It does not make
me want to "sprint" a 25 mile ride. The folks who really are competitive at 25
miles probably don't want to do 50s.

I have to say, I stopped and watched with reverence as the 50 mile frontrunner
passed me on her way to the finish, and I felt humbled by that moment.  She and
her horse were where I only hope to go. That part was not lost on me.  A year
ago, I just saw a 25 ahead of me, Now, starting a new green 5 year old, and
having not yet done an LD on him, I still see 50s in the future.  God knows
what level of insanity I will arrive at next year. However, if LDs were not
offered, I would probably never make it to 50's. and if 50s become the
stepchild, well 100s become completely out of the question. I can't yet speak
to 75s, but I have a feeling they will sound more do-able than 100s at some
point.  Also, I love the idea of elevator rides.

Maybe there is room here for all of us, after all.

Best, Eve Spencer, Newbie in KY