Re: [RC] [RC] Stallion question - Chris Paus

Good point Rhonda, but that would assume that she had adequate insurance. My standard homeowner's policy covered me when we had two backyard horses for pets, a gelding and a mare. Once I expanded the herd and got into breeding, I had to do a lot of searching to find an appropriate farm policy that covered horses. Even the standard farm policies have exclusions for horses and especially for stallions. For example, everyone around here told me to get Farm Burea. they didnt' want to touch a horse farm in our county.

I now have a horse farm policy and I can tell you that when I acquired a stallion, my premiums went up. I also had to sign a statement that the stallion would not be used in any way for riding lessons no matter how quiet he is. Insurers see nothing but a huge risk there when they see the word "stallion."  I have to send the underwriters pictures of my fences periodically. If this woman had a stallion just behind an electric fence, my guess would be that she wouldn't go to the trouble to insure her risk adequately and I doubt any horse farm insurer would have covered her if they knew her only fencing for him was electric tape. It could be that this was only a temporary corral and not his usual housing, but nevertheless, the accident happened and i doubt the dead people's insurance company let it go without recovering damages from someone.

chris

Stephanie E Caldwell <biothanetack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
RHONDA LEVINSON wrote:

> No offense to Chris, but this is a really common misconception about the
> law. Just to let other horse and stallion owners know so they don't get
> really stressed about this, the woman who owned the horse would not have
> lost all of her assets. The woman's HOME OWNER'S INSURANCE would have
> paid off any lawsuit. This is why we have homeowner's insurance.
> Please remember this if you're ever on a jury -- it's the insurance
> company (wealthy and evil) that is paying the verdict, not the
> homeowner/horseowner/driver/whoever.

No... Many/most homeowner's policies exclude livestock. Sad fact, but go
check policies and see!

Steph