[RC] Looks like its Tevis 2006 - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Lauretta  tikitiki69@xxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I am bummed; I was hoping to do Tevis this year and had to pull.
Two weeks ago, Shaba was a little off at the end of a training
ride, and I thought at that time it was just a sore hoof (he was
in EZ Boots and was used to shoes, then LOST the boot, so I
thought he was a little ouchy from the walk back at the end; we
went SLOOOOW to make sure we didn't hurt the hoof) and he seemed
fine w/ a week off, so I went and had him reshod and took him up
to Gold Country.  Only a few miles into it, he was off on the
exact same foot.  I was thinking 'stone bruise from last time
that I didn't notice'.  Pulled him, had the vet look at him; no
heat no swelling; no soreness when palpated; nothing.  Hmmmm.
Fine at the walk (he was even prancing)and the canter, lame at
trot.  Lively as hell and trying to run around. Took him to the
vet the next day and had him ultrasounded; turned out it was a
torn tricep.  The vet touched the spot behind the shoulder and I
have never heard that horse screech so loud.  The good news is
that he will recover 100% just fine, but not in time for Tevis.
I am glad I caught it now before it was worse.  Here I was think-
ing 'hoof' and was waaayyy off.  Glad I took him to the experts.
We will get out the pom-poms and root for all the other riders instead.  Good
luck to you all!!  Here's hoping you all get that
buckle, and we'll catch up to y'all shortly!!

Lauretta and Shaba (who is getting bute at the moment and feeling
very full of himself, cause he is getting SPOILED with horse
cookies and fruit pie treats and isn't even having to work for