[RC] 2006 COC - KimFue

In a message dated 06/29/2005 5:53:53 AM Pacific Standard Time, tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
How about a 1 mile oval with "pit stops" every 15 laps ;-) . That would
work.Of course it's not endurance as most of us think of it but it would
solve the problem.

Truman
Truman,
     I had already thought of that :)  Just so you know it was one of the time zone reps that made the comment to me that we need easier qualifying for a larger selection pool.  She said this in reference to choosing time zone squads for the Pan Ams/NAC not the World Championship.  I certainly understand what you are saying when you say that 13.40 is a reasonable time for any horse that is WEC championship material.  I agree with you and my guess is that every member of a squad would probably be able to meet that requirement even if it wasn't in place and other selection processes were used.   I am just suggesting a different or perhaps better way to play a game that right now is not particularly suited to US endurance riding

Just curious, but other then the FEI COC is there any other requirement made by the FEI body (not USEF) saying that qualifying has to be done at FEI rides? If not, I don't understand why selectors couldn't use regular AERC rides for selection and observtion.  So following that train of thought if each time zone were able to set up one or two FEI qualifiers like I suggested each year that are designed to be easy on ride management and easy on the horses then the selection committee could name the AERC 100s that would be used for observation.  Depending on the course of the FEI championship (Pan Am/WEC) ride they are selecting for, AERC observation rides would be choosen that match the terrain, footing, winning times on say the upcoming Pan Am or WEC.  One thing about what I am suggesting is that the necessity of having enough dual sanctioned rides would be eliminated. Therefore, rides that have not traditionally been dual sanctioned could be used in the selection process.  If something like this were set up in the US it would be less expensive for rider who wants to do FEI because they would only have to enter 1 FEI ride to earn the COC.  Out here, the FEI division ends up being at least double the entry of the AERC division.  Saving 100+ dollars on each entry fee certainly does begin to make up the additional cost of USEF horse/rider fees and passport fees that are required by US FEI riders.

I guess to me, the COC is just a formality set up by the FEI.  In reality, the selectors would know what horses are best suited to have the best chance to earn a medal without a COC requirement by the times the horse is completing at other rides.  Get the formality out of the way in the easiest way possible and set up a selection process that would include as many AERC rides as possible that would resemble the upcoming Pan Am or WEC.  By eliminating the need of dual sanctioning you open up the number of rides that could be used for selection and costs would be held down.

IMHO, US endurance riding was not set up with FEI in mind like many other countries.  Why continue to make this an uphill struggle to get horses qualified and on teams when there is so little incentive to dual sanction rides and the COC requirement so rigid ?  Why make US riders pay double the entries at dual sanctioned rides?  I just rode in a dual sanctioned ride which was a selection ride.  I rode in the AERC division but does that mean that if I wanted to be considered for a team that my completion and placing is somehow different from those riders that had to pay double the entry fee?  When riders are nominated and riding observation rides the selection committee could require the FEI dress requirement and the no spurs/whip policy be used by all riders under FEI consideration.  They could even require that nominated riders have their passports in order before entering a demonstration ride.

I guess in some ways I look at the trends in FEI and see the US trying to play a game that right now is more suited to Europeon/UAE endurance.  I just spoke with a friend who told me about a French woman who lives in the US now.  She wanted to keep her FEI qualificquations in France so she had to go to France and ride in a 50.  Guess what....the course was basically a 10 mile loop ridden 5 time on perfect footing.  Her support crew was able to meet her every three miles.   So instead of the US trying to play the same game as other nations, which does not favor our conditions, I say change the way we play the game and make it easier and less expensive for our riders and ride managers.  Yes, the idea of a 14 mile loop or a 1 mile loop ridden 100 times is BORING and not what we consider endurance BUT it certainly does fufill a stupid FEI rule in effect.  Rides like this would certainly make the pool of qualified horses larger and would probably do this costing each individual rider less money in the long run if completion rates were higher to earn a COC in an easy ride or no brainer ride.  After entering one FEI ride and earning the COC they would never have to enter another US FEI ride until they need another COC qualifer.

The US needs to come up with better ways to play this game.  So much time is spent on this COC, trying to get more dual sanctioned rides for qualifying, and finding ways for US riders to afford FEI.  One simple way to make it less expensive for the rider is to use non FEI sanctioned rides as observation/demonstration rides.  Just think how much money could be saved if the horse really only had to enter 1 FEI sanctioned ride to earn a COC and if the sanctioned ride was an easy ride the odds of completion would be much higher to earn that COC on the first try.

Kim