Re: [RC] Moving to Kentucky - Karen L.

Hi Karen,

     I live in Louisville, KY and board my horse at a friend's house in Southern Indiana, at a location about 20 miles from here.  I don't know much about boarding facilities in Kentucky.  You may consider boarding near the Harrison-Crawford State Forest, which is outside of Corydon, Indiana and across the Ohio river from Fort Knox.  It would be a little bit of a drive, but then you would have a lot of area to ride in.  The Harrison-Crawford State Forest, which has about 26,000 acres and 80 miles of marked horse trails.  (http://www.in.gov/dnr/forestry/index.html?http://www.in.gov/dnr/forestry/stateforests/&2). I know there is overnight horse camping there and I am sure  that daycamping as well is provided.

     Will you have a trailer so you can trailer to riding locations?  If so, then I recommend the Clark State Forest in Henryville, Indiana (Exit 19 off I-65 in Southern Indiana).  The Clark State Forest has 24,000 acres to ride in and 100 miles of marked horse trails.  There are dayriding and overnight horse camping areas as well.  (http://www.in.gov/dnr/forestry/index.html?http://www.in.gov/dnr/forestry/stateforests/&2)

     The local endurance club is the Daniel Boone Distance Riders (http://aha14.com/clubs/dbdr.php), which has members from all over Kentucky and Southern Indiana.  I encourage you to join.  This is a nice group of people.  The club puts on several rides a year in Kentucky and Southern Indiana, plus some club members also put on some rides in Southern Indiana at the Clark State Forest.

Welcome to Kentucky!

Karen Lynd

Doubledal@xxxxxxx wrote:
Help!  The Army is moving us to Fort Knox, Kentucky, and I know absolutely nothing about the area, especially with regard to horse related stuff.  There are stables on post, but their pasture turnout is somewhat limited, and I'd like to look into other local places to board.  Also, can anyone tell me where some good places are to ride, good farriers, vets, etc.  Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Karen N.