[RC] AHA and Juniors at the national ride - mkrumlaw

Chris, (this is not meant to single Chris out, just a general reply to
some other questions I've received of line.)

It's great to hear you are a member of AHA and very exciting to know you
are only breeding quality horses!  The point I was trying to make
however, was that there is a much higher number of distance riders who
aren't members than are.

I also don't want everyone to think I've got "go AHA" stamped on my
forehead.  I get just as annoyed with the programs and politics as
everyone else.

The biggest issue with AHA is that those who make their living off of
large breeding operations, show barns, and training are governing AHA. As
a career upper management type I've always held the position that if you
aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem.  So I jumped
into the swamp with both feet to wag the flag for the average arabian
owner.  Let me tell you, the swamp can get pretty frosty when you're in a
room full of show folk and you say something like 80% of Arabian owners
don't care about the ring. Though it's taken some time and it's taken the
right type of person as director, we are starting to see some exciting
changes in our region.

If your local Arabian club is only focused on showing, as was ours,
organize and start your own AHA affiliate organization.  Right now there
are only two of the 100's of AHA affiliates that have a distance and
pleasure riding focus.  Another loud statement to AHA.  If you don't want
to start your own club join AHA through ours (www.oaats.org).  The more
members we have the more attention we get.

I have a picture on the wall in my office. It was given to me by one of
my previous CEO's as I finished a very intense three year project.  It
says "In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream
always wins...not through strength but through persistence."  I'm
persistent as hell.  :-)

MKS

This message was sent using MailMan
provided by Good News Internet Services