Re: [RC] Prineville, Injured riders and horses - Sisu West Ranch

To paraphrase a famous American President:

Read my lips: No new rules!

As those who have followed my posts already know, I am a fan of breast collars and cruppers. I have seen and experienced personally wrecks that either were prevented or could have been prevented by the use of this equipment.

I have never personally seen a wreck caused by brush snagging in a breast collar or crupper. I would like to hear the first person experience of someone who has had this happen. By the way, my first 30 years on horses was spent in WI where brush popping is a way of life. During this time I have had brush snag on my foot, stirrup leather, saddle, and stirrup at various times. While exciting on a green horse, not as exciting as a saddle underneath a horse. MT has the hills, but the Midwest has the brush that won't quit in its second growth woods.

Ideally, horses should be trained to accept everything etc, but ask yourself if any of the following apply to you:

1. I have had a girth or chincha get loose because of ....
2. I have had a girth, chincha, or billet break because of...
3. My horse, as dear as he is to me, does not have the perfect back for a saddle horse. (I promise that my next horse will be perfectly conformed in every way)
4. My horse gets excited at the beginning of a ride and forgets some of his training. (I promise that my next horse will be trained personally by {fill in your favorite training guru})

If any of these statements apply do consider that your personal safety may be enhanced by the consistant use of a breast collar and crupper.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875