Re: [RC] Prineville, Injured riders and horses - rdcarrie

I agree with Kristen...let's not have a knee-jerk reaction and start mandating equipment.  One cannot legislate common sense.  I happen to agree that a breast collar is a good idea in the case of emergencies.  I always use one, but it's adjusted so loose that it doesn't "hold" the saddle in place even when I do a hilly ride in NM or central Texas - doesn't need to, as I've never (so far - knocking on wood) had a saddle move much.  And please, don't ANYONE start the tired thread about back conformation, choosing horses that don't need a breast collar, yadda, yadda.  I use one in the event I come off (not an uncommon occurrence LOL), and my horse should run off, or my weight pull the saddle over as I come off.  I don't want my saddle to end up under my horse's belly...which can happen with ANY back conformation, given the right (wrong) set of circomstances.  I typically ride with a very loose girth (plenty of daylight showing between the girth and my horses' bellies).&n bsp; I'll tighten it more at hilly rides, but still don't over-snug it.  I prefer to be allowed to make my own decisions about what tack to use.  But I agree with Kristen...riders need to think about what could happen should they come off and their horse start bucking and running off.

Dawn in East Texas (no hills here, but I don't always ride in the E. Texas piney woods)

-----Original Message-----
From: Kristen A Fisher <kskf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Mon, 16 May 2005 13:53:21 -0500
Subject: Re: [RC] Prineville, Injured riders and horses

I strongly disagree with "mandatory" equipment. I know how to choose my tack & tighten my saddle.

I think this is an opportunity for rider education. It's pretty common to see the bodies go flying at the start of some rides, and at least one that I have been behind was from a tack issue.

Kristen in TX

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ridecamp Guest" <guest-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx