RE: [RC] Prineville, Injured riders and horses - heidi

Hmmm.why would you not just teach your horse to deal with "stuff",
including a saddle, under his belly?  Just take the stirrups off an old
saddle, but leave the leathers on so they will flap. I would rather have
him "freak out" and get over it a controlled situation such as round pen
or small paddock than during a ride.  Ropes around legs, plastic bags of
trash (go pick up trash on a trail somewhere and let him carry it),
aluminum cans in a trash bag.  You would be surprised what a horse will
learn to tolerate if you take the time to "acclimate" him to it. <grin>

Unfortunately, this whole sad story is the result of several cases of
horses not being adequately prepared to deal with what they need to deal
with.  Having flapping "stuff" is just one of many.  Jim is right--this is
should be a basic part of horse training.

I also disagree with ANY piece of equipment being "mandatory"--there are
circumstances in brush and timber in which I sure would NOT want to use a
breast collar, and it is one more of those things that needs to be a
matter of individual judgment.  I've had a saddle under a horse's belly
once, and somewhat recently (last fall)--it was my own darn fault (he can
spook pretty good, and I hadn't tightened the girth adequately, being
sloppy going out on a short flat loop by the house), it happened at home,
and while he did run the eighth of a mile up to the barnyard, he was
standing there calmly waiting to be "rescued" when we got up to him.  A
good-backed horse with a good-fitting saddle that is properly girthed up
does not NEED a breast collar!  And by the time someone goes to a ride,
they should know if their horse fits that category--or not.

Heidi