Re: [RC] did AHA give in or did they have no choice - Diane Trefethen

heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
What I want to know is WHY did the AHA refuse to recognize those
stallions as  purebreds in the first place?

Because they weren't purebreds. They have documented European ancestry that is other than Arabian.
Okay... so if the stallions in question were CLEARLY PROVEN to not be purebred Arabians, why did the SA interests lobby to put those horses in a purebred stud book? Clearly, duh, they would have to know that if they could succeed in degrading the Registry, SO COULD ANYONE ELSE. Degradation of the Registry hurts ALL breeders who want a closed book.

Since degrading the Registry is a no-brainer, I suspect there is more to this than a clearcut: these stallions are NOT purebred but, gee, golly, we as South American breeders (read no clout at all) want our partbred stallions registered as purebreds anyway. Further, any lawyer in the audience (please speak up) could tell you that a lawsuit based on facts that disprove the claim is doomed to fail. So why would the AHA, having been sued on faulty grounds, especially if their raison d'etre is the heart of the lawsuit, settle? Saving money totally doesn't cut it.

Again, unless I misunderstand how things work, one of the most important functions of AHA is to "proclaim" which horses are Arabians and whether those horses are purebred or partbred. Ergo, agreeing to accept as purebred Arabians, horses who are PROVEABLY only PARTBRED Arabians, destroys the credibilty of AHA.

This brouhaha does not affect me or any one else who just rides and loves the Arabian horse's mind. But it sure as shit affects anyone who wants to label their horses as purebred Arabians... Hmmm... think people breeding Davenport horses have a bitch here?