Re: [RC] Wild Life Sightings - Barbara White

Living along the Pacific Flyway allows all sorts of interesting bird experiences.  The horses become accustomed to the sights and sounds of most of them.  Horses never get used to pheasants, however.  Pheasants hide in the brush until one is practically on top of them; then, right at your foot (or hoof),  they fly out in a frenzy of wing flapping and squawky gobbling noises.  At certain times of the year, the lead rider knows that at any second the fun will begin.

One year it was unusually cold, and the agricultural ditches froze over.  The ducks that winter in the area are often seen floating in the water.  That year, however, we were surprised and amused to see the ducks fly down for their water landing,  hit the ice, and skid or ski quite a distance before regaining their composure and figuring out what had gone wrong in their habitat.

An incredible experience I had was riding alone and approaching a field covered by geese.  I was able to get very close before they were scared by the horse and rider.  In unison, they took flight.  Having only seen this in the distance before, I was amazed by the deafening noise of thousands of wings flapping.  I'll never forget that sight and sound.

Barbara