Re: [RC] Rider weight - Truman Prevatt

Katie

No need to apologize and you were not being offensive.

I think the jury is still out on this. Frankly I don't think we know. As someone pointed out studies published in Equus indicate that it may in fact be true that the ability to safely carry weight is directly correlated to the horse's size. It is in humans. I look forward to the additional work that was mentioned.

This is one of those hot button issues where a) there is little facts known, b) everyone has their own preception of reality and c) the issue takes on religious significance - where facts have little use, and d) where it seems impossible to have a civil discussion.

Bottom line is examples of "I saw a 350 pound rider riding a 14 hand Paso" has no meaning as to the ability of the population of horess (or Pasos for that matter) carry more than 15, 20, or 65 percent of their body weight. After all not many people ride horses that belong in the records books. One rat experiments only tells you want one rat did. Two rat experiements only tell you what two rats did and uncontrolled experiments are not any better as far as measuring properties of a population.

The second misnomer is there is really a "lightweight 250 pound rider." Two hundred fifty pounds is 250 pounds. Good saddles will help but still won't reduce the weight the horse is holding above the ground. The horse has to carry 250 pounds. The ability of the rider to ride balanced will help the horse - just as it will for a 100 pound rider - but it will not make the weight any less - the horse is still hold up 250 pounds.

Truman

kazevedo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Okay, I'll stop being offensive, sorry everyone. I didn't mean to be at all, I just thought that a heavier person, like 225 lbs., would need a bigger boned and more muscled horse, but I guess that's not correct at all.

Katie

--

“Ethical axioms are found and tested not very differently from the axioms of science. Truth is what stands the test of experience.” Albert Einstein