[RC] Carrying weight - Bruce Weary DC

On the weight carrrying issue, I have been riding as a heavyweight for over 20 years, and feel certain
that there is a correlation between the horse's size and his ability to carry weight over long distances.
As with most issues like this one, we need to specify the parameters in question, and allow for exceptions to the rule. There will always be those who point out the exceptions, but they don't necessarily disprove a trend.

By size, we don't necessarily mean taller, but horses of greater mass usually are somewhat taller than
those of lesser mass. This applies to humans as well. I am 6'4" and 200 lbs. I have more torso flopping in the breeze above the horse than someone who is also 200 lbs, but significantly shorter. Try carrying a 100 lb flag pole versus a 100 lb box. The box will be much easier to negotiate. I think a longer horse suits me better than a more compact person of equal weight. Increased bone density and size allow for greater absorption of mechanical stress, and also provide for greater attachment sites for muscle, which of course is what is responsible for moving the load down the trail in the first place. A larger horse usually has more muscle to do the work with, as well.To complicate things, we have to consider the types and percentages of muscle fibers the horse has that enable him to carry weight over given distances at given speeds. Then there is the horse's ability to cool himself, level of conditioning, rider balance,conformation, foot size, effects of shoeing (proper or improper), feeding, and, of course, the contribution of God himself--whatever natural genetic blessings the horse shows up with. With all these variables involved, we won't be able to effectively debate the size issue by simply comparing what one sized horse accomplishes versus another. These other factors will need to be figured in to avoid the"one rat study" perspective that Truman refers to. It would be interesting
 to hear from the likes of Courtney Hart and others who have made it their business to develop a screening system designed to select the best endurance candidates for different riders.
   P.S. Just got back from convention-- great trade show, speakers, wonderful time.
   Bruce Weary