Re: [RC] Vaccinations - Bette Lamore

Hi Truman
Did anyone else see the Today Show the other day when this author (can't remember his name) was talking about his new book-- Lab 239 (or was it 237... or some number--- hey I felt good I remembered THAT much!) in which he discussed the fact that a lab on the East Coast was testing for new strains of diseases and antibodies (and I'm not sue if there was any possible war considerations involved-- I missed a lot of the interview) and he said they found breeches in the containers. The ONE thing I DID hear him say is that he believed this lab was where West Nile in the US originated.
Well, as Kurt Vonnegut said in Breakfast Of Champions "Man and Yeast are the only two organisms that kill themselves in their own excrement (I believe he was referring to our toxic waste-- and this would certainly qualify as well)
Bette

Truman Prevatt wrote:

In FL we saw a decrease after the first year and a much bigger decrease after the second year - to no probelms after the third year. I asked a UF vet about it and he said that is what they expected - vaccine or not because this is the pattern WN follows when it is introduced into an area. It has more to do with the birds than the horses.

When it first hit the east coast the scientist were saying it would work it's way across the country - hitting the three migratory flyways - east first, then midwest and the west. After about 3 years in it would be reduced to a low level threat - much as it is in southern Europe and the middle east.

My vet - who treated over 100 cases the first two years with 90 in "properly" vaccinated horses pegs it at about 30% effective if you consider the subclinical cases. He may be a little sarcastic with that but as he says, vaccinate them and ignor them - they can die just like if they weren't vaccinated.

Vaccinated or not - be ever vigilant.

Truman

Sisu West Ranch wrote:

While there are limitations to all vaccinations, and surely the 3 shot per
year is a burdon, the last report I saw indicated an order of magnitude
reduction in West Nile cases in MN after the first year when there were a
lot of unvaccinated horses.

Of course, if your horses did get the actual disease and recovered they will
be almost 100% protected for life.

If we want to talk about 6 rat experiments. I had 6 horses in MN vaccinated
3 times the first year. They were out 24/7, and 4 went to rides in river
bottoms where you couldn't stand to be out after dark. None of them have
ever had a bad reaction, or gotten sick.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

(406) 642-9640

ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx

-- Bette Lamore Whispering Oaks Arabians Home of 16.2h TLA Halynov who lives on through his legacy Hal's Riverdance! http://www.arabiansporthorse.com

Always remember: "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away." (George Carlin)

There is no better way to see the world than from the back of a horse. ~ Teddy Roosevelt