Re: [RC] Vaccinations - Bette Lamore

Hi Kari
At the risk of getting flamed here for my opinion, my horses are in a pasture away from others and I only vaccinate them (except for the pregnant mares) once every three years. If I have a horse going to a trainers then that horse gets the three way (Eastern-Western Encephalitis and Tetanus) or a four-way (adds Venezuelan enceph. to the mix) and a flu-rhino for I and IV strains of rhino. Now the flu-rhino I give to foals and their dams every month stating at one month of age to 6 months as this practice has completely eliminated the risk of foal pneumonia up here--- it is very common up in Paso and I had 2 foals die of it one year. I had a vet who had a theory that it was caused by herpes (rhino) latent in the mare at birth and so we experimented by giving the shots every month to both mare and foal--- never one sick baby since, even though we were boarding horses at that time and there were epidemics at other neighboring ranches during a few years. However, I've heard bad things about over-vaccinatiing and mine are at low risk for exposure right now so once every three years has worked well for the bulk of my herd and I haven't had a colic or sick horse for 14 years. And I have not given the West Nile (I have had friends who have had very bad reactions to it with their horses) Of course when my stallion travels to shows later this year I will have to re-evaluate the risk here--- not something I am looking forward to. (Now that should be enough buzz works to get a good flame going :-).
The most important thing I can do, however, is worm regularly as my pasture is only 35 acres and a closed situation.
OF course, everyone's situation is different so I am not recommending this for everyone. (so put away those lighters)
Bette
Kari Hanes wrote:

It's that time of year again, snow is melting!! I need some unbiased advice about vaccinations. Ofcourse my vet wants to give all nine horses a "five-way". We have done that in the past but I am wondering if it's really needed for all. I'm ashamed to admit I don't know the definition/contents of a 5-way.

Three of the horses don't leave the property and are in there own pasture. Do these 3 need a five-way or are there other options (my cousin mentioned a 3-way??). The six we work, show and breed with are getting the same as last year. And, of course, they are all getting the west nile vac. again. Can anyone share what they are doing with multiple horses?
TIA
Kari
Montalee Arabians
Holton, MI

The CRI was originally a test for humans developed at UCLA in 1939. A
professor at UC Davis named Morey Fowler became interested in this and
wondered how it would work on horses and started testing it. Dr. Fowler
was at one time the head vet at Tevis. A young vet named Kerry Ridgeway
worked with him on this project helping to collect the data...........and
as they say, the rest is history...
~ mb

-- Bette Lamore Whispering Oaks Arabians Home of 16.2h TLA Halynov who lives on through his legacy Hal's Riverdance! http://www.arabiansporthorse.com

Always remember: "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away." (George Carlin)

...but then, I do ride my horses a lot more than most people ~ Karen Chaton