Re: [RC] [RC] [RC] [RC] President's Cup - DVeritas

In a message dated 2/21/2004 9:22:11 AM Mountain Standard Time, CatfishDaniels@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
And for the endurance racers, crossing the finish line first with a healthy horse is indeed a reward and recognition well deserved.
    Absolutely agree with that.
    I believe that the AERC came to a fork in the road some years back, and where some wanted to turn in one direction, the rank and file membership spoke up and found themselves nose to tail in the other.
    I believe it was a conscious decision based on a collective predicate consisting of a variety of components, with room for those who wish to race to "victory".
    Someone posted the _expression_ of "putting all one's eggs in one basket", as it pertains to WEC, President's Cup, et.al..  That doesn't really apply, in my estimation, as some folks just got too damn many eggs for that to be a moderating influence.
    Thank God, that we (AERC) have (what appears to be) a collective conscience capable of self-moderating.
    For the Americans who venture into the international competitive arena (many who I know), I wish them the best.  Truly.  Please do not misunderstand my feelings in this regard.
    I know the AERC isn't perfect...perhaps it is, in fact, the "honing" experience that engages each of us and helps form our identity.
    I think so.
    Will we ever rise up and contend for "world influence" in the forum of endurance racing...I guess when it really matters to enough of us, yes.
    Then, it won't be the money that matters, but the good ol' "let's find a way to win this thing" that has always resulted in the better horse and rider and system getting it done, that day.
    No animus intended...Buona Fortuna,
     Ciao,
       Frank