From: "Ed" <roleyed@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC]   Mentoring Thoughts
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 09:46:55 -0500

I do not see mentoring ever happening where the experienced rider would have
to ride with the new rider. I say that because I have never rode a ride
(25-50) where I could ride the pace of another horse the whole distance. He
has always either wanted to go faster or slower than other horses. What
could possibly work would be a system where experienced crews volunteered to
be set up with inexperienced riders and their crews so those who have been
around could assist, teach and advise at the checks and even keep an eye on
the horse. Also, marking the inexperienced horse/rider team with a colored
ribbon (green?) may be useful so those with experience may keep a helpful
eye on them on the trail intermittently. Ride managers could have a place on
entry forms where those with experience could indicate they wouldn't mind
volunteering their expertise and crew to help like this or could identify
them at ride meetings (in the SE the new riders have a short meeting and the
volunteering mentor crews could "hook up" with them there).

Our first 50 found me getting Sawyer into trouble at the first VC. Joe
Shoech saw I was having trouble and came over to us and helped us through
the VC. No one asked him, he saw a need and filled it. Joe and his wife,
Tamara, continue to be the newbies advocates in the SE. There are many out
there who I am sure would help as long as they could still ride their rides
and enjoy their time.

I don't like the sound of "mandatory"! People like to help and people like
to be helped and advice is better received when it isn't forced on them

Just thoughts.

Ed Roley & Sawyer (the sun is shining, it supposed to be near 60 this
weekend-we're going riding!)

You don't have to be a 100-mile rider or a multi-day rider to be an
endurance rider, but if you want to experience the finest challenges our
sport has to offer, you need to do both of those.
~ Joe Long

Watch high-quality video with fast playback at MSN Video. Free! http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200365ave/direct/01/

The very essence of our sport is doing the trail as quickly as practicable,
while keeping one's horse fit to continue. Taking the clock out of the
equation makes it another sport altogether. The challenge is how to keep
the sport what it is while honing our skills (both as riders and as those
in control roles) in detecting where "the edge" is for each horse so that
we don't cross it. ~ Heidi Smith