Re: [RC] [RC] [RC] Kids, ponies and distance riding... Get a grip people - heidi

*Hello again Heidi.  SERA  has instituited an age minimum of 8, I think.
I just don't see how
it is going to adversely affect a child under that age if they have to
wait until age 8, or 9 or 10 to ride.  They
can do many other things with horses that are fun, with their parents
and a preparation for the day they
can do their first AERC ride. It;s just too silly to presume anyones
life is going to be ruined because they
could not endurance ride before age 8.....

I already shared one example of a 7-year-old whose life was remarkably
altered by his being able to compete in endurance.  I don't find it at all
"silly" that his life was turned around by the sport.  He rode at the time
that it was right for him to ride.  And now that I work with special needs
kids, some of whom have similar problems, I appreciate even more what the
sport did for that particular young man.

I'm sorry that he would not have had such an opportunity to improve his
life under the rules of SERA--and I'm darn sure glad that we had no such
rules in the NW when he needed the sport to change his life.

And no, Karen, I do not believe for a minute that simply riding around
with his parents at home would have sufficed.  It was the goal of doing
what his older brother did the year before that changed this boy and GAVE
him a life.

I cannot support a rule change that would remove such possibilities from
children who are already "ruled" out of too many things already.

We have already seen the positive benefits that competing at a young age
has provided to some kids.  Why we would even consider destroying that
opportunity because some nebulous harm "might" happen to some other child
is incomprehensible to me.  I'm all for stepping in when abusive
situations appear--but let's do it on a case-by-case basis, and not remove
an avenue for other kids.

Heidi