Sent: Wednesday, December 22, 2004 8:27 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] Kids, ponies and distance riding... Get a grip people

> Third, if you have children that CHOOSE to go through the insanity of
> riding a horse for hours and hours and hours, as a parent you have to
> decide on the safety parameters given that your children have chosen to
> do one of the most dangerous sports known. It's sort of like a kid
> deciding to take up skydiving. How (assuming that the equipment is
> available, in their size and safe) could you force a child to take that
> up? But if you agree to allow them, you have to accept that you are
> permitting a level of risk in their life. It's your kid. It's your
> responsibility. No one else's.

Y'know, one thing that no one has mentioned here is that kids need outlets
in life other than hanging out in the street, doing drugs, getting
pregnant, etc.  I sub at our alternative school from time to time, and one
of the things that I've noticed is that NOT ONE of the kids there has had
the opportunity to have an outlet such as horseback riding.

Sure, there are risks--but for some kids, having a goal and a positive
outlet makes all the difference in the world.  Too many things are already
off limits to them--I sure hope we can continue to provide a good, clean,
healthy sport for those who ARE precocious and need such an outlet.

Heidi