Re: [RC] Kids, ponies and distance riding... Get a grip people - Maryanne Gabbani

I suspect that most of us on Ridecamp were victims of horse mania of one type or another as young people. My parents, having four kids on a civil servant's salary, just used to tell me "Marry a man who'll buy you a horse." Took me a while but I eventually did. In the meantime, I used to literally beg, borrow and steal rides anywhere I could, and was a great example of a horse being good for a kid. The group that I sort of hung out with in school were the cheerleaders (I was their pet intellectual) and they were doing their best to destroy as many brain cells as possible in their short lives. I was usually out on a horse somewhere. I did collect some smashed vertebral processes along the way and to this day have no idea when and where, but that's water under the back.

I hear people on the list talking PAST each other. Again, if this is a legal question; let's let some lawyers answer it. If there is an issue that some ride managers feel that riders are not properly supervising dogs or kids or horses, they can ask them not to come again, right? Or even....God Forbid...to leave. If there are people who feel that their 7 yr old is capable of doing 50 miles, then it's THEIR 7 yr old. If you don't feel that YOUR 7 yr old can do it, then don't let them. How many people have ACTUALLY seen a toddler riding a ride? I doubt that the number of pre- 7/8 yr olds can be counted on more than one hand. And anything over 4 isn't a toddler, folks.

I agree with Angie. It's time to throw this fish back in the water. How many of you remember the name of the first horse you fell off of? I do. She was a chestnut school mare named Jolena and she pitched me weekly for a year at my lessons. Learned how to fall from her and my brothers. I loved that mare to death and probably got my preference for chestnut mares from her.

Merry Christmas all. (And we do celebrate it in Egypt...even TWICE! Once for the Europeans and once for the Copts and Eastern Orthodox. Egyptians can't resist a good party.)

Maryanne