Re: [RC] Arab/Kiger mustang cross - Laney

Hi Tracy,
The cross has the potential to made a wonderful endurance horse. Personally, I think you're doing it right by choosing your horses carefully. The Kigers as well s the other subgroups of Spanish Mustangs have a fairly limited gene pool so they breed true. One of the problems with using a BLM mustang is that you don't know what gene mixture you're dealing with. If both the arab mare and the kiger are horses that you would willingly use for endurance, then you have a pretty good chance of getting a good baby.
The qualities that Spanish Mustangs, including kigers, contribute are health, hardiness, smarts and ability to be in there for the long haul. What they don't have is speed, ability to cool and recover as well as arabs. So, IMHO, the best you'll get is a horse that is a blend. If you're looking for a top ten horse, you probably won't get it, but you never know!
Laney

Tracy Cann wrote:

I am planning on crossing a really nice Arab mare with a Kiger mustang. I just think it would be too cool even if it didn't end up being my next endurance horse. That is the plan though, it being my next endurance horse. I have always had a fascination with mustangs, Kigers in particular and wondered how good of an Endurance horse a cross with an Arab would be. Anyway, just wondered if anyone out there had a Arab/Kiger cross or a Arab/Mustang cross, or even just knew about one, and had thoughts or opinions.
Thanks, Tracy