[RC] cougar behavior and horses - Dawn Simas

I received many private replies with questions, so figured I would post one public answer, since they were mostly the same questions.

<<one would never attack a horse.  Particularly one with a human on it.  Just too much trouble as they're used to smaller prey....>>

We all *used* to say that, but never say never.  I use the word "generally" now.  They *have* attacked riders on horses and riders in groups, even riders with dogs.  Indeed it is very rare, but has happened.  The frequency of attacks on hikers and bikers has gone up.  The frequency of attacks on riders and horses has gone up.  We attribute this to the fact that the human population and trail use going up.

Cougars are typically shy cats.  You may not have seen one, but if you ride in cougar country, they have seen you.  However, evolution and adaptation are the keys to longterm species survival.  Cougars are changing their behavior recently.  On heavily used trails, there is an increased frequency of bolder cats.  In remote areas, IMO, the risk is not so high.  The cats in remote areas are still behaving as they did in the past, hiding and shy.  For instance, the American River Parkway here near Sacramento compared to the Foresthill Divide area of the river...  I would be less concerned in the Foresthill area.

Cougar behavior = Self Preservation.  They are solitary and cannot depend on packmates to sustain them if injured.  The shy nature is a defense that ensures survival.  There is a good prey density (deer) in most areas and there is no need in the cat's mind to take the risk of unnatural prey that may injure them.  However, the more exposure they get to trail traffic on a regular basis, you get a young inexperienced cat that is still experimenting on prey, he may give it a whirl.

<<So I ride quite comfortably in spite of the sightings.  Should I be more careful?  We have single tracks here.....with lots of bushes and good cover, as it happens.>>

In open areas you should be relatively fine.  But dense brush, with a good outcropping of a hill or rock is prime cougar hunting ground.  They are opportunists and will return to an area that's worked for them in the past.  They attack prey from behind, onto it's back, as it passed by.  They will hang out at their "launching pad" and wait under cover.  They want the shape to fit the bill, they want a quadripedal animal that they can "ride" safely out of range of it's hooves and teeth and bite it in the back of the base of the neck (where the spinal cord is closest to the surface and can dispatch it quickly before they get hurt).  Humans on foot, typically were not attacked because we walk upright and are bipedal and don't fit the bill.  If we bend over to pick up something, like a rock or to tie a shoe, we fit the bill.  Read=Porky Pig suddenly becomes a pork chop.  So, one bit of advice, if you are on foot and confronted, *squat* by bending the knees to pick up something if necessa ry.  Believe me, I've been jumped by captive cats and it's very predictable.

Also, *yes* they also do attack horses in pastures.  But again, not typically in open space or unless it is a sure thing.  So, if it's open grassy pasture, they should be fine.  If it's dense brush and large enough that a cat in the area uses it as part of their territory, it would be wise to bring horses into an open corral or stable during dawn and dusk.  Especially foals and geriatric horses.  And adult established cat that has been there for a long time is usually safe.  But if it's a young, transient cat looking for a new territory (Read=a cat in the area has recently been killed and the territory is available to a youngster) and experimenting on prey...

Sorry for the long post.  As you can see, this topic is easily a 1-2 hour lecture.  You are much more at risk of being attacked by a bear, the family dog, or being hurt on the highway driving.  Don't be afraid.  Just be realistic.  I'd rather have my knife and pepper spray than not.  :)

Ms. Dawn Simas
Director - Wild About Cats
Wild Feline Conservation, Education, and Rescue