Re: [RC] Fitness - heidi

Anyone have any ideas for riding in the dark in areas with cougar
activity.  My husband is gone all week and it's just me and the
critters. I am surrounded by National Forest and BLM...closest neighbor
one way is 1.5 miles...the other way 15 miles....and there are only 5
houses on the eight mile road I live on. I live in the middle of
nowwhere...which is great most times, but we have lots of cougar and I
am feel a little like bait out there at dusk and dawn on my horses.
Can't wait for that solstice! Thanks for any insight.

The main thing I would add to this discussion is to try to avoid riding in
brushy areas where the cougars have lots of cover.  Cougars are stealthy
predators.  They are not good sprinters, and don't depend on running up on
their prey.  They will stalk their prey, and they like to have hiding
places and good cover from which to spring.  They like methodical
creatures like walkers or joggers, that are a good prey size for them and
also behave in a manner that is easy to predict and follow.  (Think of a
barnyard cat watching a mouse.)  They think horses are tasty, but are also
intimidated by height--so a rider mounted on a horse is far less of a
target than a horse by itself.  Also, a rider traveling at a trot is going
at a speed that a cougar is not apt to follow--whereas a foal meandering
along a track from the pasture to the creek is going at a perfect speed
for a cougar to get.

If you are riding along open roads at a good clip, I wouldn't be too
concerned about cougars.

Heidi (also in cougar country, but have never given it much thought when
I'm horseback...)