[RC] Fitness - Dreamweaver

Rene' - don't feel alone, a lot of us work full time, and care for horses multiple horses and compete in all distances. It is not easy, and IMO, the best way to succeed at it is to want to do it, to need to do it -- those of us that are truly addicted can tell you that it really is just about wanting something bad enough to make it happen. Sometimes you may fall a little behind, no big deal just pick up where you left off and keep on going. From very early on I had to really manage my time, I was self employed and that required a lot of my time. Now I am lucky enough to have a job with flexible hours (less $ but enough), but still put in well over full time and then some each week. I sort of figure it like this -- it takes X amount of hours per day to work, X to sleep, X to eat, X for misc. stuff and then I would say well okay that leaves me with X hours for my horses. I try to make that amount be 3 hours a day. Doesn't always work, sometimes the horses get 15 minutes, the time it takes to feed and water them, and other days I make up for it by going out and riding sunrise to sunset. It is easy to find reasons (excuses?) to not go ride, or not do this or that with the horses, but in the end if it is something you really want you just have to make the necessary adjustments in your life and make it happen. It's all part of taking charge of your life, and directing yourself where YOU want to be -- do you control your life, or does your life control you? If you can't do 3 hours a day, maybe try for 1 1/2, or even 45 minutes. If not every day then try every other day, or 4 or 5 days a week. You learn really quickly how to get that horse tacked up, ride it for a half an hour, walk for ten minutes to cool down and clean up. If there is a full moon coming up, ask some friends if they'd like to go for a moonlight ride with you, just don't give up coming up with ideas and ways to make things work out so that you can spend the time you need with your horse so that he/she is really ready for doing an endurance ride, of whatever length.

If you are uncomfortable with riding in the dark, start out with taking your horse on long hand walks at night. It'll help keep you in shape, and if you have any dogs, spouses, kids, take them along too. If you go for a 4 or 5 mile walk each evening, for 4 or 5 nights a week that is still close to 20 miles you wouldn't be doing anyway. Free longe your horse, or longe him a couple of times a week, work on voice cues and watching how your horse moves so if something goes amiss you'll know right away; try to work it so your horse isn't just sitting around doing nothing for weeks on end, don't let the shorter days and less than perfect weather keep you indoors! If you get less sleep, you'll probably sleep better because you'll be really tired. (just making stuff up, lol...but hey, it works!) :+)

Karen
in NV