Re: [RC] The Numbers Are Running Against Us - Lif Strand

At 08:40 PM 10/1/2004, Truman Prevatt wrote:

Frankly I gone really give a rats behind what someone shows up to at a ride nor do I do this sport to win big money prizes.

Um, I was being facetious. I've never been in an endurance ride where even a small money prize was offered.

the AHR is missing the boat since it's given up the recreational market to the other breeds.

Gotta agree with you there. But I will ride an Arabian whether or not AHR pushes the breed for trail/recreational use. I don't ride them because a breed registry promotes it, don't even ride Arabians because statistics say they do so well in endurance, I ride them because Arabians work for *me* - they do the job I need, can handle the terrain where I live, and they work well with my personality. That's the reason a person should ride any horse, isn't it?

The fastest growing market for horses is in the recreational sector. That's just plain not good business and the breeders should be the ones making the noise.

Well, if that's the case, then I *hope* that people buy other breeds than Arabians. Because I bet few of those people in that fast growing market have been raised with horses, and fewer and fewer will come to horse ownership (and the inevitable breeding of their babies that will follow) with any knowledge of horses or horsemanship. So I say let them trash other breeds of horse. Not that I would wish that on any equine, but you have to draw the line somewhere.

   Lif Strand      fasterhorses.com
           Quemado NM USA
High Country Rider:  An endurance rider's journal
   www.fasterhorses.com/highcountryrider/