Re: [RC] Cancer? - Lif Strand

At 08:49 PM 10/1/2004, Julie Fuller wrote:
I've done some surfing, and I'm pretty sure its cancer. And for the most part, information says he'll die of old age before cancer. But... If it metastisizes, he'll go pretty quick. And what I want to know is this: Has anyone actually experienced this? What can you tell me?
How will I know if it's "gone bad"?

What you describe sounds like what my Froggie had. He had a lump for years and years on the inner thigh, high up. Nothing every happened with it, so I just watched it. It was, in the beginning, about the size of a dime in diameter and stuck up maybe half that height. I can't tell you when he developed it, but I'd guess in his early to mid teens.

Froggie died last summer at 30 years old. He had developed more of those lumps in the last half year of his life, and the original one was now the size of a quarter. It went the way it often does - he started losing weight rapidly. I'd say he did that for a month to 6 weeks before he died. Then he was in pain for two days - sort of a non-specific gut pain - and died during the second night.

I couldn't tell you if your horse's being out of breath and sweating is a symptom of anything since I wasn't riding Froggie any more and he didn't do anything even vaguely resembling work. I would consider having a lump biopsied. It doesn't have to be cancer, Froggie's lumps weren't biopsied and he might not have had cancer either.

   Lif Strand      fasterhorses.com
           Quemado NM USA
High Country Rider:  An endurance rider's journal
   www.fasterhorses.com/highcountryrider/