[RC] Cancer? - Julie Fuller

Hi guys,

I have a bay arab gelding... I've had him about 3 years. He's about 15. He had a lump on his throat,( about halfway between his jaw and his chest) which had been there for years, had never changed, and my vet said it wasn't a problem. I never worried about it.

Well, now I'm worried. Over the past 6 months Tai had developed several more lumps. They are all about the same size.... about an inch across, stick up maybe half that. They are under the skin, hair is intact. They don't bother him, but when new one shows up, it's sometimes tender, with a bit of swelling around it for a few days.

He's got one on his right hip area, one on the left, one lower on the left... thigh. One behind his left ear, behind where the bridle fits. And one on the side of his neck. The last one to show up I noticed yesterday. It wasn't there on Saturday.

I've done some surfing, and I'm pretty sure its cancer. And for the most part, information says he'll die of old age before cancer. But... If it metastisizes, he'll go pretty quick. And what I want to know is this: Has anyone actually experienced this? What can you tell me? How will I know if it's "gone bad"?

I have noticed the past few rides, that Tai seems to get out of breath VERY quickly. I had attributed that to Alan riding him and his extra weight verses me. But my son rode him yesterday, and while he does weigh a bit more than Alan, we only walked. And we didn't go but a half mile when Tai was soaked, dripping and breathing hard. He got his breath back pretty quickly with a quick break, and did pretty well for our two mile walk, but I was concerned.

So, please, if anyone has had a horse with cancer, I'd sure like to know what happened when it metastisized.

Thanks guys

Julie
Washougal Washington