[RC] Shooting for an endurance mount - Opal

Hi Lori,

A great friend of mine raises and competes with Appy's, and from her I recently learned a LOT about the breed.  First of all, they are different from other "stock" horses because they were originally USED for long distance riding by the Native Americans.  They were not intended as cow ponies (which is what the QH was bred for).  AND the coolest thing (to me anyhow!) is that Appy's can be outcrossed with QH, TB and ARABIAN!!  My friend's mare is registered Half-Arabian and a full Appaloosa.

As far as having/not having an Arabian.. sometimes you have crazy horses in every breed.  You really shouldn't just lump them all in together.  If you are looking for a good endurance mount, that is sane and trail ready, then breed should be secondary.  Find a horse that fits your requirements, then worry about what breed he is.  I think lots of GOOD horses are overlooked because people only want a certain breed or color, and can't get past that.  Look at each individual horse, you'll have a better chance that way.

Good luck!
Opal Perry