Re: [RC] The Numbers Are Running Against Us - Lif Strand

At 07:07 PM 10/1/2004, Truman Prevatt wrote:
When I go on the trails there are very few people on Arabs. You see paints, QH's but where I ride (FL) what you seem most are gaited horses mostly walking horses. The TWHBEA has done a good job promoting it breed as trail horses. They support trails conferences. They support trail riders along with show horses.

What does the AHR support besides the show ring? Endurance is a very small market. If the AHR is serious about its breed it will do much more to convience the recreational rider - the pool that we pull many endurance riders from - that the Arab is a good horse for them. Most of the people on walking horses I come across see no reason in the world why they would ever want to ride an Arab. Given I have both in my pasture I guess I can see their point and more importantly the AHR is doing absolutely nothing to change their minds.

I hope everyone goes out and gets breeds other than Arabians to ride in endurance. Then when I've got my Arabians conditioned, I'll hit the trail and start racking up the BCs and Top 10s. Can't wait!

   Lif Strand      fasterhorses.com
           Quemado NM USA
High Country Rider:  An endurance rider's journal
   www.fasterhorses.com/highcountryrider/