Re: [RC] The Numbers Are Running Against Us - Lif Strand

At 07:39 PM 10/1/2004, Truman Prevatt wrote:
How many recreational riders do you see on Arabs? How many do you see on the QH or gaited horse? At some point it will catch up with them.

I think it's pretty regional. When I used to live in CA you saw mostly Arabians on the trail. Here you see "ranch horses" which means the same thing as mutt horses, generally part QH or part Arabian. I think anyone riding a gaited horse in my neck of the woods would be asked if the horses needed a vet or a bullet. But only a little over 100 miles to the east on the Rio Grande you see all kinds on the trail - gaited, Arabians, drafts, donkeys and mules. I've never seen so many donkeys under saddle in my life!

But you go to an endurance ride around SW NM and you'll still see mostly Arabians. People are still digging them up from somewhere. But as you say, the AHR isn't pushing them, and soon there won't be so many on the trails. So all you people listen to Truman and get into non-Arabians real quick. Hurry up - I've waited a long time to get the big money prizes in endurance!

   Lif Strand      fasterhorses.com
           Quemado NM USA
High Country Rider:  An endurance rider's journal
   www.fasterhorses.com/highcountryrider/