Re: [RC] Early Gelding - heidi

I've heard that too.  I am real curious to see if anyone has taken a
look  at those horses when they're grown up.  I don't have enough
science  knowledge to comment one way or another, but I am curious as to
whether  there's more or less risk to a colt to be gelded that early.
I'd think  there would be a risk with anaesthesia.

Doesn't seem to be, at least by three days.  I know RMM does them as young
as two, but it was because of anesthesia that I preferred to wait until 3
days, and did more of them at around a week.  They sail through
xylazine-ketamine anesthesia just fine, and are only down about 10-15
minutes, tops.  They get right up and go nurse as if nothing happened.

If there's no anaesthesia, no one is going to ever convince me it's a
good  idea at any time except in *extreme* emergency.  And no way no one
no time  no place am I going to be convinced that surgery on any being,
human or  otherwise, without anaesthesia, is OK.

I agree.  And the testicles are so small at that age that I think it would
be a challenge defying even the best of grips to do one at this age
WITHOUT anesthesia, never mind the humane issues!

Before you argue it
isn't a big  deal, have it done to yourself.  I don't hold with the
argument that just  because someone/thing can't communicate to you that
things don't hurt, or  that just because a being is very young, the pain
is insignificant.  We're  talking organ removal here. I've yet to see
any un-anaesthesized critter  not writhe or scream in pain at any age
when castrated (or circumsized!).

I agree!  But we're not talking about doing them sans anesthesia here--no
way, no how!!

Heidi