Re: [RC] Early Gelding - Lif Strand

At 11:50 PM 9/20/2004, melanie.o@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I recently heard that Dr. Miller (of the imprint training fame) has been gelding colts 2-3 days after birth before their testicles go back inside their bodies.

I've heard that too. I am real curious to see if anyone has taken a look at those horses when they're grown up. I don't have enough science knowledge to comment one way or another, but I am curious as to whether there's more or less risk to a colt to be gelded that early. I'd think there would be a risk with anaesthesia.

If there's no anaesthesia, no one is going to ever convince me it's a good idea at any time except in *extreme* emergency. And no way no one no time no place am I going to be convinced that surgery on any being, human or otherwise, without anaesthesia, is OK. Before you argue it isn't a big deal, have it done to yourself. I don't hold with the argument that just because someone/thing can't communicate to you that things don't hurt, or that just because a being is very young, the pain is insignificant. We're talking organ removal here. I've yet to see any un-anaesthesized critter not writhe or scream in pain at any age when castrated (or circumsized!).

   Lif Strand      fasterhorses.com
           Quemado NM USA
High Country Rider:  An endurance rider's journal
   www.fasterhorses.com/highcountryrider/