[RC] Buying on a budget - Jena Williams

-------------------------------------
Be that as it may, I trust that you are also
purchasing your pulling rigs, long distance saddles, etc. also at auction. The
same rules should apply in your life throughout.

The tone of this one riled me a bit. Just because I buy on a budget does not mean I buy "junk" all the way around. Wow, that is arrogant!

Yes, EVERYTHING I buy is with the same small budget and very careful thought as the horses. When I needed a truck I researched for a long time on what older models hold up well and can do the job. Then, with my budget in mind I went looking. I didn't go to a dealer (breeder), because it is just not possible to get what I need for my budget there (they laughed at me). So I searched the papers and drove 100 miles to look at the few I could find. The truck I bought had its issues but ran well and the price was right. Now I have a truck, before I none.

People just don't go out and buy a horse a random because it is cheap and think they are going to make a winner out of it. If you are on a budget it takes a lot of thought and commitment to even own a horse. I have to get "diamonds in the rough" because that is all I can afford. And no, I didn't go through any frogs. Every horse I have ever bought was successful for the purpose I bought it for, save one thoroughbred. He didn't have a "trying" personality, and that just does not shake with me. He made a good pleasure mount for a Marine who didn't mind, and probably enjoyed, the occasional battle of the wills. I have never taken a horse back to the auction.

I just don't think it is about "breeding". Planning, preparation and a hefty can of elbow grease.

Jena