Re: [RC] Buying on a budget - Lif Strand

At 01:05 PM 9/5/2004, Jena Williams wrote:
The tone of this one riled me a bit. Just because I buy on a budget does not mean I buy "junk" all the way around. Wow, that is arrogant!

Before we get into some fuss about arrogant posts, let me say that I'm pretty sure Kim's post was somewhat tongue in cheek. Or maybe not! Either way, what happened to allowing people to express their opinions, arrogant, intelligent, stupid or humble, anything in between?

Yes, EVERYTHING I buy is with the same small budget and very careful thought as the horses.

And also, people shouldn't take things personally (although of course, if the shoe fits....). Kim's post was directed at Truman, if you recall.

People just don't go out and buy a horse a random because it is cheap and think they are going to make a winner out of it.

Well.... yes, some do. I know at least one person who has done exactly that and others who have gone to auctions "just to look" and have come home with horses that after a while turned out not to be such great bargains. Yes, yes, I know that other people get winners. My pal went to a livestock auction that has known killer buyers just to see what was going through the sales. He picked up a horse he just couldn't resist for next to nothing because he thought it looked really great. He even got on and rode the horse around the pens first. Looks can be deceiving of course, and so can the behavior of a horse that's been standing around in a pen at a livestock auction after having traveled who knows how long in a big trailer with other horses it's never met before. So my pal - who just "happened" to have brought his livestock trailer along (and I shudder to this day thinking of that death trap with a horse in it) - bought the horse and brought him home, with dreams of knocking the socks off of everyone else. That horse was agile and fast. My friend really thought he had scored the bargain of the century. My pal is very stubborn. It took many, many flights through the air and several broken ribs and a punctured lung later, before he took the horse back to auction. I presume that horse has long been recycled through several dogs' guts.

   Lif Strand      fasterhorses.com
           Quemado NM USA
High Country Rider:  An endurance rider's journal
   www.fasterhorses.com/highcountryrider/