Re: [RC] Buying on a budget - heidi

-------------------------------------
Be that as it may, I trust that you are also
purchasing your pulling rigs, long distance saddles, etc. also at
auction.   The
same rules should apply in your life throughout.
-------------------------------------

The tone of this one riled me a bit.  Just because I buy on a budget
does  not mean I buy "junk" all the way around.  Wow, that is arrogant!

Well, no, I don't think Kim was being arrogant.  I think she was making a
point that too often, the horse is the least well researched part of the
whole outfit.  And too often, she is right.

Yes, EVERYTHING I buy is with the same small budget and very careful
thought  as the horses.  When I needed a truck I researched for a long
time on what  older models hold up well and can do the job.  Then, with
my budget in mind  I went looking.

Nobody is belittling those on a budget here.  One CAN find good horses on
a budget--it isn't the dollars spent that is under discussion here.  It is
the notion that any old random horse that "looks good" from an auction has
the same odds as those that were specifically bred to do the job.  And
that simply is not borne out in real life.

FWIW, a great many breeders will work with those on budgets.  Likewise,
the information that some of us are TRYING to impart here (and which a few
folks are trying to turn inside out and label as "arrogant") is that it
pays to FIND OUT what constitutes a "good horse"--and breeding is a part
of that package!  As MANY posters have pointed out here, good horses DO
fall on hard times, and are available to the "budget buyer" as a result.
But the "budget buyers" who are the most successful at FINDING good horses
are those who paid attention and did their homework, and didn't just go
off in a huff when thoughtful people shared information about what it
takes to make a good horse.  You will go much further in your
"horse-search-on-a-budget" if you are well-versed in what good endurance
horses look like, move like, and act like--and yes, about how they are
bred.

Heidi