Re: [RC] BC information - heidi

Here is something new for us to think about....
Wouldn't it be good for all of us to press the Vets and Ride Management
into giving us MORE information during the Best Condition Judging?  I
have been discussing this with many ride managers and Vets over the last
 year and been getting mixed results from both.
Why is it that we only get to see the trot out and NO other information
during BC judging? What a great opportunity for education if they
announced more!
There are many attributes that they could share with us during the
judging that would help us learn. Such as,
What was the horse's pulse.
What was the CRI if done.
What was the hydration.
What were the gut sounds.
What was the time to pulse down at the finish.
What was the rider weight.
What was the difference in time 1 - 10.

These are all stats that we don't need to dispute and are basic, but
would help us understand the attitude of a horse while watching BC. It
is not like we would try to second guess the Vets.
Heck, they give out the results to the top ten finishers any ways....
why not give the watchers more information they are recording any ways
to make the BC judging more educational?

Steve, glad you brought up this topic.  One of my pet peeves was when AERC
changed from the big individual sheet for each BC horse to the little
slips where you put all the horses on one page and then tear them apart to
hand out.  One of the things I always used to do with BC judging was to
allot specific numbers of points to specific parameters within each
category.  I did BC on a main worksheet, where all of the deductions for
each and every category were listed, and then I made notes on the big BC
form for each horse, listing his pulse at 10 minutes, his CRI, his pulse
at an hour, what I deducted for gut sounds, skin tenting, jug refill, cap
refill, mucous membranes, etc.  On the trot-out, I listed comments about
why I scored the horse down.  I know a lot of riders have contacted me
over the years and have said how much they appreciated having all of those
notes, so that they could read what it was that I was seeing, and
understand how I arrived at the vet score.

As for weights and times--those are on there.  The heaviest rider's weight
is listed, and the specific rider's weight is subtracted from that to get
the weight score.  Same thing with the time--the fastest time is listed,
and the rest of the riders' times are subtracted from that to get their
individual time scores.   So it is easy to look and compare those.  But
the vet scores are too often just reported as numbers, with no notes--so
the rider really has no idea what the vet might have been seeing.  I'd
like to see AERC go back to the big page for each rider, and then
encourage the vets to USE it--heck, the vet scribes can write in the
comments, if need be, if the vets don't like to do paperwork.  (I always
enjoy that part, personally--and appreciated having room to write my
remarks for each horse judged.)

Heidi