[RC] ulcers - Patti Kuvik

Marlene -
One other thing I'd look at with "little" colics is my worming program,
especially tapes (double dose Strongid paste or praziquantel)  and a Panacur
5 day powerpak for encysted strongyles plus regular worming with the agent
of your/your vet's choice. I've heard many vets in my area (So. AZ - high
sand area) say the most common cause of colic they see is parasites (not
sand) - either the current parasite burden or because of the results of a
horse not being wormed regularly in the past - and they've recommended the
Strongid/Panacur/bi-monthly ivermectin regimen (along with free choice
hay/grazing) as the best colic "preventative".
This month's EN has a great article on ulcers by Barney Fleming, DVM,
discussing causes, diagnosis and treatment. Concise and a good read.

Patti Kuvik
Vail AZ

I have a horse that I suspect has ulcers.  Here's the history.  =
She's an
8 yr old BLM mustang, captured at 3, adopted by me late in her 5th year.
She was a nervous sort of horse, but would deal with almost anything by
not moving and just trembling.  She got over all that over about 6
months and I've moved along with her very slowly.  I got her bred when
she was 6.  She had light colicky episodes almost monthly during her
pregnancy.  Nothing that we treated, she didn't stop pooping or gut
sounds, just was uncomfortable and would stick her lip up in the air.
She had a big colic that required treatment after foaling but that =
isn't
terribly unusual I've heard.
snip<<<<
So I'm hoping we can figure something
out for her.  Doing rides doesn't specifically seem to the cause of =
the
colics, but I'm sure there is some level of contribution because I =
can't
always control feed changes.  Can't control it over the year on her 40
acre pasture either though!

Thanks for any advice.
Marlene

Marlene Moss