Re: [RC] 'pound dog' mentality for horses? - Barbara McCrary

I would suggest that the reason many Arabs are not broke to ride is the breeders feel they are creating "living works of art", and therefore do not need to train them to do anything useful.  After all, they are beautiful just standing out in a pen.  They don't have to work for a living, and the longer they stand in a pen, the more likely they are to become fiery, flounce about with their tails in the air, and look like "living works of art."  If I sound cynical, I am.  To me, a horse is happiest going down the trail, exploring the world, doing something useful.  He's proud of himself for being useful.

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, September 04, 2004 10:20 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] 'pound dog' mentality for horses?

In a message dated 9/4/2004 11:54:24 AM Central Standard Time, sunibey@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
This is such a pet peeve of mine. Why do SO many Arabian owners not break their horses? This is a horrible epidemic that Arab owners need to remedy. I make a point of breaking all my horses, broodmares and stallions and I will not sell a horse over the age of 4 unbroke. They have a better chance of making it if they are at least broke.

Maria