Re: [RC] 'pound dog' mentality for horses? - Chris Paus

I think a lot of it also goes back to the big breeding
boom in the 1970s and 80s.

My mare Brokenmoon Latifa was a casualty of such
breeding. She came from a farm in Michigan. The owner
went bankrupt and fled his creditors by fleeing the
country! He locked up his horses in the barn and left
them to die before he got on a plane!

My mare was a yearling at the time. She and her dam
somehow escaped and their presence alerted the
neighbors that something was wrong. The horses who
survived were sold at auction.

So there was just one herd of Arabian broodmares who
were never broke to ride, they were just producers.
I'm sure this story was repeated hundreds of times
across the country and still is being repeated.

Brokenmoon Latifa (Tee) found her way somehow Tennesee
where she had several foals, including Shakeela Lee,
her daughter that I have. These two mares were starved
again and we rescued them. They went almost a year
with no hay! They had 40 acres, but it was mostly
woods. They were surviving on tree bark.

Their personalities were pretty well set by the time I
got them, and it would be difficult now to change
their jobs and switch them from brood mares to riding
horses. They've come a  long long way, but probably
will never completely trust humans after what they've
endured.

I know several people who have picked up well bred
horses who were in a similar plight as my mares. It
happens.

chris
--- Barbara McCrary <bigcreekranch@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I would suggest that the reason many Arabs are not
broke to ride is the breeders feel they are creating
"living works of art", and therefore do not need to
train them to do anything useful.  After all, they
are beautiful just standing out in a pen.  They
don't have to work for a living, and the longer they
stand in a pen, the more likely they are to become
fiery, flounce about with their tails in the air,
and look like "living works of art."  If I sound
cynical, I am.  To me, a horse is happiest going
down the trail, exploring the world, doing something
useful.  He's proud of himself for being useful.

Barbara