[RC] sweeps & auctions - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Nicole z_arabs@xxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

This horse was well bred - even sweepstakes nominated,

To some of us the connection of "well bred" and "sweepstakes
nominated" send up red flags.  "Well bred" for WHAT exactly?

There certainly ARE well bred horses that are sweeps nominated,
but the majority of the sweeps program is aimed at the show ring,
so the majority of sweeps horses are show bred (and mostly halter
since that's where the big bucks and glory are).

As for auction purchases, I've been there and done that myself.
I was lucky to be in the right place at the right time during
the fall of the "industry" at the end of the 80s and picked up
some incredible horses for peanuts.  And, I can see how the
auction experiences of that time frame could create a notion that
auctions are a great place to buy, I sure thought they were!

Today's low end "killer" auctions are a different matter.  I
wouldn't go there *looking* for either an endurance prospect or a
breeding prospect.  However, that doesn't mean you can't find them,
or can't turn that auction find around and create a nice horse
that can go out and do LD or 50s or even more.  It just means
that's now where I'd start (or end) a search for an endurance
horse.  On the other hand, I've often said that if I had the room
and time and money for rehab and retraining of horses, I'd love
to be one of those folks that buys at the killer auctions and
gives the horses a new life as pleasure or even show horses -- I
just wouldn't *expect* to turn them into endurance horses.

~Nicole