Re: [RC] sweeps & auctions - heidi

Please Reply to: Nicole z_arabs@xxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

This horse was well bred - even sweepstakes nominated,

To some of us the connection of "well bred" and "sweepstakes
nominated" send up red flags.  "Well bred" for WHAT exactly?

There certainly ARE well bred horses that are sweeps nominated,
but the majority of the sweeps program is aimed at the show ring,  so
the majority of sweeps horses are show bred (and mostly halter
since that's where the big bucks and glory are).

I have to ditto what Nicole is saying here.  When these two phrases appear
in the same sentence, I read it to mean "horse has famous show ring names
in the pedigree" rather than "well-bred" in the sense to do a good job as
a riding horse.  The two used to be related, but they are becoming further
and further separated as the show ring fads become more and more extreme.

Most folks who are breeding good riding lines don't give a rap about
sweepstakes, since endurance and other sorts of open competition are the
main aims for such horses.  Additionally, given the up-front expense of
nominating for sweepstakes and the fact that most folks don't want to pay
anything for endurance horses, it simply is not financially feasible to
nominate all one's young endurance prospects.  I can't think of ANYONE
that I'd consider buying an endurance horse from (or sending anyone else
to buy an endurance horse from) who participates in the sweepstakes
program.  There may be one or two, but none come to mind.

Heidi