Re: [RC] [RC] reply to Bob Morris - Ed & Wendy Hauser

"... One needs to have evidence in order to issue sanctions..."

I respectfully beg to differ with your interpretation of "evidence".  Evidence is all of the things that are allowed into a preceding.  Eyewitness testimony is one of many forms of evidence. The due process judgment then is made by considering all of the evidence presented by one of two standards.

1. In a criminal case it is "beyond reasonable doubt" meaning as I understand it, evidence that would clearly convince a reasonable person so that they would not doubt that they had made the right decision.

2. In a civil case it is "preponderance of evidence" which as I understand it, means that weighing both sides of the case as presented the majority of evidence points to the decision.

A true example:

In Hudson, WI a few years ago a woman was reported as being shot by an intruder by her husband.  The police came and found her dead with a close range shotgun wound.  Being good policemen they suspected her husband.

He later changed his story to say that she had rigged the shotgun with a string and killed herself.  He said he took the shotgun, and threw it into the St. Croix river.  The shotgun was never found.

He has not been charged with a crime.  There is not enough evidence for a criminal conviction.  His wife's relatives filed a civil suit and obtained a wrongful death judgment, because of the weaker standards in a civil case.

Now to get back to our visual trail cutting case.  Sure, the RM would look for bolstering evidence.  They may or may not find any.  If it came to a protest, it could get down to whether the P&G committee believed witnesses who saw the cheater, or believed the cheater who said he/she didn't.  Many cases ultimately come down belief in eyewitness accounts.  When this happens the persons deciding the case look at their estimation of character of the witnesses.  Estimations of possible gain to the witnesses. How true the two stories sound in relation to life experiences.

Many persons have been convicted of crimes on the basis of eyewitness accounts, and little supporting evidence.  Examples of this happening are in the paper every year.  The most notorious ones relate to rapists being cleared of old crimes by DNA evidence.  I would also be willing to bet that O J Simpson would have been convicted if anyone had been found who would say they saw him at night from across the street had testified.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875