RE: [RC] [RC] white legs - Erin Clutter

Hello

That is true...white legs(pink from their skin) are more tender and sensitive, but don't worry about is "too" much.  Some extremely good endurance horses out there have some white legs(or pink because of skin).  DONT rule out a potential horse unless you KNOW that he/she has had problems in the past.  I know several horses that are absolutely excellent and bombproof endurance horses and they have 2-4 white stockings up to their knees and ahve never had a problem with their skin being irritated, etc.

 I do not know much about the whole sand situation in Florida that you have.  But I have ridden an Arabian chestnut with 4 white stocking in sand on a lake that there is in CA, and he did great and he had no reaction what so ever, and it was in the summer time of California so about 90-100 degrees.  I do live in California though, so we don't have "that" bad of sand and humidity, or atleast where I live.

 I have never known a horse with white stocking(or legs, etc.) to have a problem with it like having it become too tender or sensitive to anything or having a reaction to something like a sunburn.  I have ridden several horses with white legs, but ALSO sometimes when a horse has a white stocking, their hoof is what they call "white".  White hooves do tend to be more soft and tender compared to black hooves.  but don't get me wrong my best mare I rode who had 1,000 miles with 4 100's had white feet and she was never pulled except once and that was because she fell with my older sister(who now doesn't ride anymore).  So I wouldn't just not look at any horses with white on their legs.  Because you have to remember, not all horses are the same.  You might find a couple hroses with white/pink(from their skin) legs that are sensitive, or you might be like me and never see a horse that had any problems with their skin, etc.  So I would definately look at all horses no matter what.  But you m ight want to find someone who has had that kind of problem with a horse!! Good Luck!:)

-Erin

Get ready for school! Find articles, homework help and more in the Back to School Guide! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=