Re: [RC] Tevis Sponsorship - Lynne Glazer

I too thought the banners were tasteful. See for yourself at <http://www.photo.lynnesite.com/photos/6745878-M.jpg>

Anyone who has ever been to an international sporting event of any kind will recall seeing banners of this type for event sponsors.

Like Kim, I wasn't pleased at the presentation of a buckle, would prefer something else had been presented/ the plaque maybe with one embedded in it, but felt in no way did their sponsorship diminish the achievements of the entrants and camaraderie of everyone involved. From an RM's perspective, due to the trail itself, geographical constraints, # of entries allowed, this is a massive undertaking from a staffing and expense standpoint. $35K is a lot more than chump change and since they don't provide a "service" or a "product", I'm not sure what they're getting for their money but appreciate the help in making sure the ride can continue.

Sandy--you weren't there. It was tastefully done. As someone who volunteered for three years of the ride, I can attest that each year there was something on the back of the volunteer shirts. Remember the year that it was the feed store--"gotta feed 'em to finish" and there was a problem with having enough feed at one of the checks? ;-) Check your Norco Riverdance T-shirts, there was a sponsor's logo on every year...it's a small quid pro quo to put up a banner or include logos in print advertising, etc. Sometimes we're lucky enough to get sponsorship without having to give anything "back"--Hansen's Soda sponsored Bar H Boogie this year in a big way, and wanted nothing in return.

I thought it was very generous to provide each rider with 4 shirts (for their crew) and 2 hats.

Congrats to Tony on Steele Fire's 3rd Tevis completion (and his first) and the fabulous job Kim Fuess did with Rushcreek Fox, finishing 17th, I think.

Lynne