Re: [RC] Kim Fuess Letter - teri

After reading Kim's letter my first thought was, just great!  I was not very
happy with the idea that the UAE was the sponsor this year.  Not because
they were the sponsor but because of what they represent.  Change.  They
represent barns who have strinks of horses to choose from not just one or
two.  Are we affraid that they will turn the TEVIS into a UAE ride a little
each year.  Are we upset because we do not want the TEVIS to change?
Possibly.  The UAE rides seem to hand out large purses for winners (if my
memory serves me right, if not I am sure someone will let me know).  Will
that somehow work into next years TEVIS or the year after.  Might.  Will the
cash prizes take away from what WE THINK TEVIS represents, for me yes.
Bring in prize money and you bring in the big farms and move the little guy
where the buckle means something out the door.  This is a ride for Man and
Horse against the elements.  Not for money.  That is my fear.  To me a GREAT
endurance ride is not how fast one can go but how tough the course is.
Change is good, but in which direction.  Let the UAE sponsor more rides, but
that is it.  We do not know the goings on of who wanted to be what sponsor.
When I worked with the golf tournaments we only let one gold sponsor in.  If
the UAE took that right away how do we know there were not American
companies that also wanted to be a gold sponsor but it was to late because
the UAE had it locked in.  My feelings are the fear of what is to come.  I
would like to see the white house painted a different color but I don't
think that is going to happen either........I just had a strange thought
with all the discussion of sponsorships and how everything has a corporate
sponsor attached to it.  How about Microsoft Navy, McDonalds Army, Ben &
Jerry's White House.......lol

Teri