[RC] Tevis Sponsorship - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Tony Corbelletta antonio_corbelletta@xxxxxx or
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

As a rider in this year's Tevis, I thought that the sponsorship from the UAE
was great.  We have to remember that the cost of putting on this event must be
enormous.  I would ask those who are complaining about the UAE if they would be
willing to pay an entry fee that covers all the cost so that no sponsorship
will ever be needed.  I think I know the answer to that one...And Oh BTW when
they only get 150 entries vs. 250 are you willing to pony up the extra $ to
cover shortfall that the ride has to suffer.  Remember ladies and gentlemen
that the overhead is huge and constant for 100 to 250 riders.  And remember
that a large part of the entry fee goes to the coveted buckle...
Also on the subject of sponsorship, I have to agree with the writer who asked
"Where were the American sponsors?"  Good question...Like a certain shoe
manufacturer that has a line of shoes they call "Endurance Line", marketed
directly at endurance riders.  The darn things are made in China and still cost
a fortune.  Or the many saddle makers, horse food manufactures, and the list
goes on.  Not a one.
I for one would like to thank the UAE and the WST Committee for providing the
money to make this ride possible.  The banners were NOT "pasted all over the
place", and I thought that they were very well done and very pretty.  The hats
and t-shirts were nicely done as well.  All in all very tasteful.  It was a
great ride.  World class.  I thought that the gift of a buckle was a nice
jesture.  It does not diminish my accomplishment one bit.  IT is too bad some
folks are so insecure that they feel diminished.
I have to wonder if it was an "American" company if there would be such a
polemic around the whole thing.
Tony Corbelletta Rider #62