Re: [RC] [RC]Horse Buying/Selling - heidi

 First there are a lot more riders and horses
out there today. The overall experience level in both horses and riders
is probably lower because of this fact. Because of is the second factor
comes in - our rides are much bigger and there are more of them. A low
probability event will more likely to be observed as the number of
starters go up. It is a lot more significant when you saw a horse on
IV's at a ride in 93 where there were only 15 starters than seeing one
on IV's today with 75 starters.

The second factor is what you could call "we all used to die of old age"
 syndrome. Back in the 50's most old people died of "old age." Today
they  don't die of old age they die of this or that type of cancer,
lupus,  etc. We just do a much better job characterizing and keeping
track.  Today we do a better job at keeping track and the internet
connects  people so that the word gets out and spreads like wildfire on
a dry CA  canyon floor.

My personal recollection is we used to see more treatments in the mid
90's than we do today. SERA put in a two vet rule in the early 90's in
response to concern about treatments. In the SE at least I think the
treatments per starter have probably gone down since the early to mid
90's not up.

Truman, we are not suggesting that "the sky is falling."  Additionally, I
am well aware of the factors that you mention above.  Furthermore, with
regard to the quality of horses that we see on rides, the 90s ARE "modern
times."  You are right that AERC and the vets have gotten better at
spotting the wrecks about to happen, and have likely lowered overall
treatment rates (note I said RATES--that takes into account the fact that
there are more riders, hence you may still see more overall treatments,
but not as many per capita, as you say).  That in no way alters what Lif
and I have been saying--which is that the treatments in early years were
largely due to the horses just flat having the snot run out of them,
whereas now we are seeing horses with more innate problems who crash
despite better management.  THAT is the difference.

BTW, many of us who vetted in yesteryear DID follow up on horses that had
problems, and turned in data to AERC--so while you are correct that AERC
is just now getting around to doing something with the information, and
starting to enforce the gathering of information, that doesn't mean that
we've exactly had our heads in the sand as individuals all these years.  I
tried to put in a data collection system in the early 80s when I chaired
the AERC veterinary committee, but no one was willing to go to those
lengths back then.  Nonetheless, our NW veterinarians met as a group at
our PNER convention every year and put our "bad cases" on the table and
discussed them, and got suggestions from each other as to how to prevent,
see them coming, treat them, etc.  So I really do think that those of us
who have been in the trenches have had a pretty good bird's eye view of
how horses have changed over the years, even if we don't have hard
numbers.

Heidi