Re: [RC] [RC]Horse Buying/Selling - Truman Prevatt

Before we call in Chicken Little - there are a lot of factors that have to be taken into account. First there are a lot more riders and horses out there today. The overall experience level in both horses and riders is probably lower because of this fact. Because of is the second factor comes in - our rides are much bigger and there are more of them. A low probability event will more likely to be observed as the number of starters go up. It is a lot more significant when you saw a horse on IV's at a ride in 93 where there were only 15 starters than seeing one on IV's today with 75 starters.

The second factor is what you could call "we all used to die of old age" syndrome. Back in the 50's most old people died of "old age." Today they don't die of old age they die of this or that type of cancer, lupus, etc. We just do a much better job characterizing and keeping track. Today we do a better job at keeping track and the internet connects people so that the word gets out and spreads like wildfire on a dry CA canyon floor.

My personal recollection is we used to see more treatments in the mid 90's than we do today. SERA put in a two vet rule in the early 90's in response to concern about treatments. In the SE at least I think the treatments per starter have probably gone down since the early to mid 90's not up.

So while we need to get our arms around treatments and why horses are treated - I'm not sure the sky is falling. We may just be seeing more simply because we a) do a better job of knowing to treat and treat more aggressively, b) have better record keeping so we have a better idea of the actual picture and c) have many more starters so many more opportunities for a low probability event to occure.

Truman