RE: [RC] [RC]Horse Buying/Selling - heidi

You state <<< If people were
able to choose from a large group of horses well suited for
the sport
wouldn't we be seeing fewer veterinary problems?>>>

This might prove to be true if we really knew what the
veterinary problems were. We are doing some preliminary
studies to try to find out exactly how to categories the
problems that do manifest. We are trying to garner data from
endurance rides through out the USA but it is not a simple
black and white answer. Each horse often appears to have its
own individual problem. In fact at a ride where you have a
number of horses pulled, it is often a unique situation for
each individual.

So, I do not know that your statement will prove out or not.
It will be interesting to find out but the answer is years
away.

Statistics would be great, but I don't think it takes a statistician to be
able to figure this out--just takes going to the rides and holding jugs on
the horses that were not "overridden" but still couldn't hack what they
were asked to do.  We used to hold jugs on horses that had been whipped
and spurred and "yahooed" into difficulty.  Now we hold jugs on horses
that were well-fed, well-conditioned, and ridden conservatively.

Yes, it is often "unique" for each individual in terms of what system
actually fails--but the common denominator is that a lot more of them
break down metabolically with a lot less insult than we ever used to see.

Heidi