Re: [RC] [RC]Horse Buying/Selling - Lif Strand

At 10:33 AM 7/20/2004, Ed & Wendy Hauser wrote:
There will still be an oversupply of horses holding the price down.

With all due respect, that's the problem - we shouldn't care how many horses there are in the world, when we're talking endurance, we should only be considering how many endurance horses there are in the world. We should not be looking at the admitted oversupply of horses of all kinds as the pool from which we choose our equine athletes, we should be looking at a smaller pool of horses bred to have the properties of top notch endurance horses.

I believe there is an *undersupply* of endurance horses. If people were able to choose from a large group of horses well suited for the sport wouldn't we be seeing fewer veterinary problems? Wouldn't we be seeing a significant overall *bettering* of times, and vet check conditions, and more competition for that top ten position? I don't think we are seeing those things, and to me that indicates that the horses chosen for the sport are not 100% suited for it.

Yeah, I could be wrong, but I think there's something to this point of view.

I think we really don't have much of a choice in true endurance horses to choose from yet. I think that as long as so many believe any old horse will do for endurance, then the quality of endurance competition will reflect that any old horses are participating.

I personally think we haven't even begun to see what endurance riding could be like when all the horses involved were bred for the sport. At that point, the price of endurance horses would go up, because if you wanted to be even a little competitive, you'd have to have the best.

________________________________ Lif Strand fasterhorses.com Quemado NM USA